Mar 6, 2009

The Rookie Wife Recipes

I have never been good at home economics. I remember back in grade school (Ms. Glenda’s class) I was always the person doing everything but the cooking. Always the tablesetter, never the chef. And I was lousy at sewing and making those stupid figurines from old moldy bread (what was that all about? like we would ever display such hideous creations) . That was until I moved here. Back home when I got hungry I had Mommy, the Queen of the Kitchen or Jean our maid who loved buying me merienda from far flung tindahans so she can meet boys. Here I have no Mommy, no Jean and no 8-MCDO to the rescue. I have to fend for myself and learn my way around the stove. Good thing my mom sent me off with a steno notebook filled with recipes for me to try and my sister didn’t mind me turning her kitchen into a (say it like Dexter) labo-ratory. Now that I’m married (half a year already yey!) I have my very own kitchen for my stovetop experiments. It’s been smooth so far except for a couple of disastrous explosions. One was a pot lid. Another was an egg in the microwave. I still wince at the thought. All I can say is do not microwave an egg in a cup filled with water unless you want a gooey mess. I thought it was a brilliant way to make hardboiled eggs until it exploded in my face. Ngwek ngwek ngwek. Greatness is seldom achieved through shortcuts.

Chevy has been very helpful in my culinary education too. He helps around and cooks on my nights off. More importantly, he knows how to compliment the chef and how to finish everything off the serving plate to avoid the chef turning into a female Gordon Ramsay. A little something he learned over time.

Most of what I’ve cooked are downloaded recipes or recipes I’ve learned from other people or my friends at the Food Network. Some of my copycat creations are so-so while some are good enough for seconds. And I want to share what I’ve tried so far with those people who have shared so much cooking tips with me in the past and in my own little way I want to inspire those people who think they are all thumbs in the kitchen. If I can do it, so can you. Say it with me. Yes we can….cook.

I will be putting up recipes of The Edible Ones in my Rookie Wife Recipes page in Multiply. If you don’t see any updates it means I haven’t tried anything new or worse, my experiment has gone terribly wrong. Or I have no time balancing my roles as housewife and gamer-for-life. Most likely it will be the latter.

The Rookie Wife Recipes. Do try this at home but have the delivery number ready just in case ;-)

Buon appetito and Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment