Mar 17, 2009

I Want: Concerts

One of the perks of living in the US is this: Concert Tours! Recording artists (both local and foreign) are performing their hits at any given time or place in this first world country. Be it at a big arena or a park or at a local House of Blues. Unlike in Manila where a big concert comes up twice or thrice or if we're lucky 5 times a year. A lot of big names in the music business don't want to perform in a third world country because they fear for their lives, which may be taken (as the stigma goes) by kidnappers from the mountains or by an unknown disease that originated from the monkeys they think are running amok the unpaved streets. Ugh. They don't realize that Manila is urbanized and that Filipinos are music lovers who will do anything and spend anything just to see them live. And that everyone there probably has a copy of their album (from a record store or from the www or from random stalls that sell pirated CDs) and that their chords are published in a song hits magazine (do song hits still exist by the way?).

They also don't know that many Filipinos are so image conscious they will do anything to up their social status. They are perennially conscious about the brands they wear or the places they go to, like the hippest concert for example. But let's not get into that. It just reminds me of an old classmate who's so superficial, he makes me groan and wince with pain when I hear about his shallow social climbing expeditions.

The concerts. Yes. My head is spinning from all the concert tours happening near us. I want to watch them all but the tickets are pretty expensive. So we have to decide which ones to watch and we have to make an uber wise decision.

We already missed Bloc Party at the House of Blues in Boston. huhu. But it's okay cause like I said sometime in the near future they're bound to perform again.

Here's a list of some of the concerts/ shows I want to catch. There are more shows in NYC but I'm limiting my drool list to our area. More realistic that way.


Lily Allen
House of Blues
Boston, MA
04.19.2009



Kings of Leon
Agganis Arena, Boston
04.19.2009



The Killers
Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT
05.09.2009



Dave Matthews Spring 2009 Tour
Fenway Park, Boston MA
05.29-30. 2009




COLDPLAY Viva La Vida Tour
Comcast Center, Mansfield MA
08.03.2009



U2 360 Tour
Gilette Stadium, Boston MA
09.20.2009



We're definitely waiting for the U2 concert to start selling tickets online since these guys are just stellar. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to watch them. We'll have plenty of chances to catch the other bands on this list be it here or elsewhere. But U2 is simply a must. I heard that there are negotiations for a U2 concert in Manila. Hopefully they make it happen. The Filipinos have been waiting for them since Sunday Bloody Sunday.

If I only had a lot of extra money to spend around, I'd watch them all and I could complete my list of bands to watch before I die. Maybe they'll have recession rate tickets!! That would be an awesome way to spread the love and the music.

Also I have another list of bands to watch before I age. But that's another story for another post.

On a side note:
Notice how I'm a big fan of British Rock. I like most things British actually. I also love this guy. He's hilarious.



No he's not Jack Sparrow of the Pirates of the Caribbean. He's Russell Brand, a British comedian and host. You might recognize him from Forgetting Sarah Marshall too. He's just brill. I wouldn't mind catching one of his shows. He's kind of a gothic comic. Brit humor is just my kind of comedy. Witty Britty.

2 comments:

  1. Coldplay! U2! Dave Matthews!

    Patay na, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russell Brand is awesome.

    Don't, for the love of God, miss the U2 Concert. And Coldplay.

    Also, the killers.

    But prioritize U2!!

    ReplyDelete