Feb 25, 2009

First Vday

A year ago I wrote an entry about how every year, my Valentine's Day has been alternately bitter and sweet. See Bitterweet Valentine Flashback. And as predicted, this year it has been real sweet. As I had hoped in my post, I spent it with Chevy and with a new last name.

We're not into the whole celebrating on Feb 14 but since it was our first heart's day as husband and wife we just had to do by tradition.

It started out as a regular oh-so-domesticated day. Woke up unbelievably early (7am!) and had brunch at Wendy's (so romantic) near the supermarket then we did our groceries and spent our early afternoon sorting out the house and the kitchen as we always do during weekends. Then Chev played his strat games while I played Jeopardy on PS3. Then we played against each other and I played online and lost to a dork who had all the answers memorized. We also had some cake, my fave red velvet with cream cheese icing. Then I cooked my valentino a dinner that was so Buon Apetito Italiano.

Menu:
Sote di Vongole or clam saute for appetizer
Shrimp and Scallop Scampi over fettuccine
Side of bruschetta (with tomato and mozzarella)

and for dessert: chocolate covered strawberries.

We also had some sparkling wine which I discovered really didn't go well with the dessert. We should have gotten port or rose. But wine is wine and I drank a lot of it. Then we curled up on the couch and watched NBA All Star weekend and a bunch of late night shows that we Tivoed.

Chev got me flowers and a box of Rocky Mountain chocolate (drool). And then he complained about the flowers because they sent me the wrong colors and the flowershop sent me a new bouquet a week after so I got 2! Suhweet. I got Chevy a card which showed a couple lugging around a giant hamper after doing laundry. It was so US. And our Vday celebration was so US. We're domesticated fastfood munching gamers with a flare for romance, experimental dinners, Italian food and wine + nightcaps of NBA or tivoed shows :)

Cheers to my sweet valentine in 09 and to more simple happy romantic days like this. Hope next year won't be bitter.



red velvet cake...mmmm...





Sote di Vongole




bruschetta




Shrimp and Scallop Scampi over Fettuccine





my second bouquet with the right colors





table for two


No comments:

Post a Comment